Lake Chelan School District
Lake Chelan School District is seeking a dynamic leader to administer the financial and business affairs of the District including the coordination of accounting, budgeting, and payroll and overseeing maintenance, nutrition services, and transportation. This individual will report directly to the Superintendent and assist in achieving established district goals under the District’s strategic plan. The Director of Business and Operations will interpret and implement state directives, will assist in long-term planning, and actively participate in a process to continually improve the operations of the District to ensure fiscal stability.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Develop, recommend, and administer the district budget, including providing key information to appropriate administrators consistent with the District’s strategic initiatives.
• Monitor all budgets and provide monthly reports to those administrators directly responsible for managing specific budgets, i.e. school budgets, department budgets, nutrition services, maintenance and operations.
• Serve as District compliance and auditing officer. Provide assistance to the State auditors during annual audits, assist departments in audit resolution, and implement correction actions as required.
• Supervise purchasing for all funds, including compliance with all State rules and regulations, quoting and bidding compliance, District inter-local agreements, and training.
• Supervise the District’s accounts receivable and accounts payable procedures for all funds on a monthly basis.
• Manage and monitor ESSER Funds.
• Responsible for the District’s annual year-end reporting (F-196).
• Direct financial accounting and investment of all school district funds and financial transactions through the county treasurer. Monitor cash reserves consistent with board goals; develop cash projection reports of revenue and expenditures as appropriate or necessary.
• Analyze and calculate future District enrollment; prepare historical comparisons as needed.
• Conduct research and deploy best practices on business operations of the District.
• Actively participate in the budget preparation of State, Federal and private grants. Monitor iGrant applications for compliance; oversee filing of monthly grant expenditure claims.
• Record and file all official documents and reports involved in school business transactions including State required reports, contracts, agreements, grants, etc.
• Responsible for staying current with changes in financial reporting and keeping abreast of applicable State and Federal laws, including but not limited to Time and Effort reporting and understanding of the Code of Federal Regulations, the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards, rules and regulations and proposed legislation. Attend workshops (ESD and WASBO) to further knowledge of financial management at the school district level.
• Function as a team player, be a self-motivated individual and a positive model for colleagues and staff. Respond to the public, district staff, co-workers, and students in a cordial, courteous manner. Effectively communicate financial information orally and in writing.
• Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and provide reports to the Board as required by the Superintendent.
• Perform other tasks as assigned or delegated.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage all aspects of District business and financial operations including budget development and control, accounting, investing, procuring, auditing and reporting.
• Ability to oversee maintenance, nutrition and transportation services.
• Demonstrated proficiency with the Washington School Information Processing Cooperative (WSIPC) software including Skyward, and/or WESPaC, preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of school business laws, regulations, policies and procedures, including Health Care Reform.
• Ability to direct, lead and manage a high performing business services department. Demonstrated effective interpersonal, collaborative, and team-building skills to achieve organizational goals.
• Ability to review and recommend the timing and implementation for future bonds and/or levies based on a thorough analysis of the current and future debt and assessed valuation.
• Exceptional analytical skills: ability to analyze complex problems, works collaboratively in generating alternatives for action, and reaches closure in a timely and effective manner.
• Ability to clearly articulate the financial strengths and challenges of the district to diverse audiences.
• Evidence of presentation skills. Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Act with integrity and honesty.
• Minimum of bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration or closely related field.
• Minimum of two years’ experience as a business manager and/or equivalent experience with business function, preferably in a K-12 public school setting in Washington State.
• Must favorably pass the Washington State Patrol/FBI/Fingerprint background check.
• If currently under contract, must be able to be released.
• Must submit a complete District application via the FastTrack online system on the District’s website.
SALARY and BENEFITS
• Salary range is $85,000 to $100,000; actual amount will be based upon education and experience
• 260-day contract
• Current benefit options include medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Retirement is covered under Washington State Retirement system
Posting Date: June 2, 2021 Closing Date: June 18, 2021
Completed application materials must be submitted online via the FastTrack system, which can be found on the District’s website at: www.chelanschools.org.
For questions, please contact Superintendent Barry DePaoli at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-682-3515.
Phone: (509) 682-3515